After organizing officers and men in 1912 and considerable work by interested citizens of our community, a charter was applied for on January 3, 1913 and was subsequently granted on April 7, 1913 in the name of Citizens Volunteer Hose Company No. One of Birdville, Pennsylvania (No. 2 of Harrison Township). The purpose of the organization was the formation of a Hook and Ladder to control fires. The company started in service with two axes, twelve (3) gallon buckets, six ladders, and fifty two charter members.
On March 17, 1936, Harrison Township’s first and only ambulance service was formed by Citizens Volunteer Hose Company, the purpose being for the transportation and pre-hospital care of the sick and injured.                                                                                               In 1973, Citizens Hose became the first fire department in western Pennsylvania to employ the “jaws of life” , which at the time was the latest in rescue equipment leading the way to departments such as the City of Pittsburgh to purchase such equipment.

Over the past 100+ years Citizens Volunteer Hose Company has undergone vast changes in methods, equipment and services to the community. We presently staff nine vehicles with essential specialized equipment to serve our community with an elite fire fighting service, rescue service and ambulance service.

Citizens Hose used to be dispatched by Harrison Twp Dispatch as Station 20.

Past Equipment

Power truck

Power Truck 24


Rescue 23

Rescue 23



167 Boat- 2011 Brig Inflatable



167 Special Service- 2003 Ford Excursion/Medic Response



Old photos from various years


Fleet Photo 1970s?



Poplar Street Fire House




Old Firehouse, Corner of Freeport Road/Poplar Street